Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Comfort Soup Recipe and Dessert Too!

Sorry I was MIA on Monday.  The last couple of weeks at work have kicked my behind and there wasn't really much to post about from the weekend.  I definitely didn't go all out in the kitchen, though I did make a soup that I've been munching on all week.  I'm also still trying to grasp the concept that in just a little over a month, we will send our son off.  He will no longer be "ours."  He will belong to the United States Army!  I have come to the terms of what it all means and eventually he has to fly the coop -- I really don't want a 40-year-old son living in my basement.  Oh, I don't have a basement! Ha Ha!  But you know what I mean.  Right?

So today is hump day and I hope your week is going well for you.  I'm a week and a half into the Healthy Vegan Challenge and so far so good.  We won't talk about my peanut binge that I had last night, though.  I was craving something sweet and went straight for the peanuts.  A few are okay, but a lot is too many.  Wait... didn't I say we weren't going to talk about it?!  If you still want to join the Challenge, you can.  I am in a group on Facebook, and you can join that by clicking here.  I have become much more mindful of my cravings and rather than giving into them, am working through them with the help of a buddy who is on the same page as I am.  It's amazing when you're in tune with your body what you can learn.

Anyway, today I have a yummy Mexican Chowder recipe for you.  We love the flavor of Tex-Mex food in our house and much to the chagrin of our son, Alex, we eat something in that flavor category at least two times a week -- whether it's tacos, fajita salads, enchiladas, or our rendition of a Buddha bowl.  I guess we should have warned him from the time he was a baby.  Back many, many years when my husband and I were dating, our first date was dinner at a Mexican restaurant (as were many dates after that).  I think we really enjoy our versions of many popular dishes because I can make them without onions for the allergic one in the house.  Going to a restaurant has become too risky for him and we aren't willing to live that close to the edge.  Of course, the recipe calls for onion, so feel free to put it in.  I found it to be quite satisfying without it.  For the tortilla strips, I used my pizza cutter to slice up a tortilla into thin strips and then spritzed them with a mixture of olive oil and water that I keep in a sprayer just for things like this (and popcorn).  The ratio is 1:4.  It gives you just enough olive oil to turn things crispy in the oven, but not so much that they're greasy.  Bake the strips at 350 degrees until crisp, about 20 minutes, checking often.
 RECIPE:
Mexican Chowder

1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, seeded & chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tsp. chili powder (or more to suit your taste)
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 c. nutritional yeast
1 c. unsweetened non-dairy milk   
4 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp yellow miso
2 c water
1 can tomatoes
1 can roasted chilis
1 c. corn
1 c. canned black beans
Juice of one lime
ground black pepper to taste

Garnish: corn chips, chopped cilantro, green onion, avocado

Water saute the onion, garlic & peppers until soft (about 2 minutes).  Whisk together nutritional yeast, non-dairy milk, tomato paste, vinegar and miso.  Add to pan and stir.  Stir in water, tomatoes, chilis, corn, and beans.  Squeeze the juice out of the lime and stir in.  Simmer until flavors combine.  For a stronger cheese flavor, add more nutritional yeast.  If your chowder is too thick, add more water or tomato sauce.  Top with garnish & enjoy!

Here's what the tortilla strips looked like when they were done

Yummy HEALTHY comfort food!

Our dessert last night was a chocolate fondue of sorts.  I declare this worthy of guests.  I'm sure that if people had their windows open, they could hear my exclamation of joy when the cinnamon-y chocolate hit my tongue.  Coupled with bananas and strawberries, I was in heaven.
Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Fondue:

6 dates soaked in HOT water for 15 minutes (save the soaking liquid)
1 cup almond butter
1/2 cup natural cocoa powder
1/2 cup water or coconut water
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of cayenne (or to taste)

Blend all ingredients, including the soaking water from the dates, in a high-speed blender.  Add more water for thinner fondue.  Serve warm or cold with a variety of cut up fruit.
Well, there you have a couple of new recipes.  Let me know if you try a recipe by posting a comment at the bottom.  If you change something to make it better, please let me know that too.  I can always use help.  I'm not a trained chef, by any means, and so I am not an expert at pairing flavors.  I cannot always discern what spice a dish needs just by a taste test.

As I said, the last couple of weeks have been crazy at work.  I hope I can keep up with the Challenge & not stray too far.  (There are no longer peanuts in the house!)  I think that with the two commitments I've made -- to the challenge and my Lenten journey -- I will stay on track.  I do appreciate the importance of following through.

Check back on Friday when I will share with you my favorite kitchen appliance.  Can you guess?

Hey, Alex... I wonder if they serve vegan food in the Army?!





No comments:

Post a Comment