Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Yummy Breakfast Idea

It's Hump Day.  I'm not particularly a fan of Wednesday as it's just a day in the middle of the week; the prior weekend is something of the past and the upcoming weekend is too far away to get super excited for.

Today I'll share with you a breakfast that I've been munching on all week.  It's one of the things that I made over the weekend.  I told you Monday I used recipes over the weekend that I was familiar with.  When I was in San Francisco at the Eat to Live Immersion Excursion, I fell in love with Dr. Fuhrman's Quinoa Breakfast Pudding.  It's delicious just the way the recipe is written, and I actually prefer it that way.  The guys in my house contend that spinach and kale are not for breakfast unless in a smoothie, so I left it out.  I think next time I make it, I'll make the modified version, but serve it atop a pile of fresh spinach.  It's all about making everybody happy, right?

Quinoa Breakfast Pudding
www.DrFuhrman.com
 
4
20 minutes
 
3/4 cup quinoa
3 cups water
12 dates, pitted
2 cups unsweetened soy, hemp or almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 cup slivered almonds
1/8 cup coarsely ground walnuts
1/2 cup dried currants
1 cup finely chopped baby spinach
1 cup finely chopped kale leaves
1/3 cup Goji berries (optional)
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350º F.

Rinse quinoa and drain through a fine screen strainer.

In a large saucepan, bring quinoa and 3 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until grains are translucent and the mixture is the consistency of a thick porridge, about 20 minutes.

In a high-powered blender, blend dates, soy milk, and vanilla. Add this mixture to the cooked quinoa. Stir in the nuts, currants, spinach and kale.

Pour mixture into a lightly oiled 9 inch square baking pan and sprinkle with cinnamon and bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm or cold

Great alone or delicious served topped with:

Cover and put in refrigerator overnight.



This is what it looks like after it's baked


And after it's doctored up with berries





Today being Wednesday, it's one of two days a week that I treat myself to a warm, creamy (slightly sweet) beverage.  I'd sworn off my green tea lattes because of the amount of sugar in them, plus I'd sort of grown tired of the flavor, but since it was a morning habit, I Just Did It ... every day!  Going to just two days a week has been interesting.  I find I treasure the flavor of my decaf, soy latte much more.  I look forward to my trip to the coffee shop.  And since it's not so heavy on the sugar, I drink it much more slowly and enjoy every sip.  Last Sunday when Hubby and I were on our early morning date (we've been doing this every week for nearly ten years) we talked about maybe switching it up a bit and doing something different on Sunday mornings.  Maybe just have hot tea at home.  We can sit in front of the fireplace in our own house and enjoy each other's company, catch up on the previous week's happenings and hear what's on the schedule for the upcoming week just as well as from the comfy chairs in the local Starbucks!  People contend that Starbucks puts crack in their coffee.  Well, how did I get addicted to chai and green tea lattes?  There's no coffee in them.  Perhaps it's the SUGAR in everything they sell (except the brewed teas).  I have really felt fabulous in the week I've gone with just two lattes.  I wonder if I will just slowly wean myself as I acknowledge that there isn't much nutritionally contained in my cup of indulgence.  It is one of the few things left that I enjoy that is not whole-foods, plant-based approved.

I'm going to wrap up today's post, but not before I tease you with an upcoming post. There is some excitement on the home front.  If you listen closely, you can almost hear the buzz.  I'll share that story on Monday morning.  Until then, have a healthy rest of the week.  I will be back Friday with a new soup recipe that is sure to tickle your tastebuds!

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment