Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Split Pea Soup recipe

Ahhh, Wednesday.  We're half way to the weekend... a three-day weekend for some of us.  I'm looking forward to an extra day to get some things done.  I think I would like to work a four-day work week all the time.  I just don't know how that would be possible, though, so until then, it's just a dream.

Today's soup recipe is one that I made over the weekend.  It took just over 6 minutes to cook.  Notice I said "cook."  The prep time is longer than the cooking time.  It's a recipe of Chef AJ's, and it was absolutely delicious.  I love split pea soup, so this was perfect for me.  How do you make split pea vegan-style, you ask?  I was always hesitant to try other split pea recipes because of the lack of the ham bone (and we can't eat onions in our house) and wondering how flavorful they are.  With all the anticipation of tasting the wholesome goodness after the soup has cooked for eight hours, it's always disappointing when it doesn't meet your expectations.  I figured I'd give this one a try since it only takes six minutes to cook in the pressure cooker.  No joke, folks!  Put all the ingredients in, add boiling water, and literally set it and forget it!  The secret ingredient is added at the end after the soup is done, just before serving.  It makes it perfect!  I guarantee you it is good.  Using yellow split peas and sweet potatoes gives it a bit of a different flavor and texture.  The recipe definitely makes enough to freeze a few servings.  I gave a couple away to a friend and have been eating on mine all week.  I could eat it every day for lunch it's so delicious!

Gotta love my Instant Pot!

Chef AJ even notes on her blog that if you go to the Instant Pot website and use the code "AJ" at checkout you can get $45 off.  I did a similar savings promotion when I bought mine; the discount brings your total price to just over $100.  This is an amazing cooker and well worth the investment. I use mine multiple times a week.  It has many functions, including a slow cooker option.  It really is a pressure cooker for those who are afraid of the stove-top versions.  Brown rice in 12 minutes?  Yes!

Unfortunately, I made the soup and packaged it all up for my lunches and didn't take any pictures.

RECIPE:
 
SPLIT PEA SOUP
8 cups boiling water
4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 pound carrots, sliced
1 whole celery bunch, cut up
1 pound split peas
10 oz. onion, cut
1-2 Tbls. salt-free seasoning

Spices:
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. smoked paprika
4 tsps. parsley flakes
1 bay leaf


Put all ingredients in your pressure cooker.  Set for 6 minutes.  Let pressure release on its own.  Add 1 capful of liquid smoke just before serving.  Tastes great right away, but even better the second day!

It sure has been cold here and I'm beginning to think I need a getaway somewhere warm.  One day this weekend I made a tropical fruit salad similar to this one.  I was unsuccessful in fooling myself that I was somewhere warm with white sand beaches.  Until I can have forever warmth, I will stick to my soups and drinking hot herbal tea.  And speaking of tea, let me share a bit about my tea.

Last year (or maybe the year before) my wonderful hubby found a tea shop in his wanderings.  He came home with what I thought was a funky tea cup.  It doesn't work too well for traveling, but I sure do like it at work and it is the best invention for loose-leaf teas.  No need for a tea ball or trying to tie up your tea leaves in a little bag.


It's a three-part contraption.  You put your tea leaves in the chamber, add hot water.  Screw on the drinking lid and then top it with the steeping lid.  When you're ready to drink your tea in three to five minutes, just take off the steeping lid and enjoy.  There's a little mesh strainer in the drinking lid that keeps all the tea leaves where they belong, in the chamber.  The double-walled cup keeps your tea hot (with the lid on) for up to two hours and the tea doesn't get bitter. 
 

Since I got my cool tea cup, I have seen many people with them.  I love it!  We have some tea that really comes to life when you pour in the hot water; it looks like you're drinking swamp water... swamp plants included!  I usually get questions and funny looks if I enjoy that variety of tea while at work.

Drinking herbal tea has been a great replacement for my morning hot creamy drink -- whether it was a chai, green tea, or coffee latte.  I still indulge just twice a week in a rather innocuous special latte, but on the other days I relax before my workday starts with a tall cup of steaming tea.  What a great way to start the day, knowing I'm doing good for my body and I can spend a few minutes in prayer or meditation before the place goes crazy!

Come back here Friday to see what's new.  Sometimes you never know what will be coming!  Heck, sometimes I don't even know what's coming!  "See" you in a couple of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment