Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bumbing Mumblin

This is supposed to be a midlife mumbling blog & I haven't been mumbling about anything lately much less midlife.  So I will do some catching up.  If this post doesn't explain the inner workings of a pre-menopausal, midlife woman, I don't know what will.

My very smart, talented, handsome, free-spirited, high-on-life son has made the decision that college isn't really all it's cracked up to be and he wants to follow his dream and work with kids in the outdoors.  By now you're saying, Well, that all makes sense; you should follow your dreams.  I wholeheartedly agree.  It's taken me a number of weeks to get over the idea that right now college is not his thing and while he's still young he should travel and live the life of a single, free guy.  So at the end of May, we will pick him up from his dorm; he will say goodbye to his very special roomie and we will bring him home for a few weeks before he packs up all of his belongings -- all of those that are extra special to him like his climbing gear & guitar -- and he and my handsome hubby will head off to Wyoming.  Yes, Wyoming.  Do you notice that word?  Say it very slowly... WY-OH-MING.  Doesn't it sound like "Why, oh me"? 

When we have kids, we have dreams for them.  Our dreams are not their dreams.  They must stretch their wings and leave the nest at some point.  I'm okay with that.  I don't think that having him gone for the summer is all too different than when he worked at Boy Scout camp near Bumping Lake.  He will be home after a few short weeks & then he'll tire of us after a bit and be on to something different.  Au contrair, mon ami!  After he works at the kids' camp, he will be moving over to the resort owned by the same folks.  He plans on being gone until at least October, maybe longer.  He assured me he'd come home for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I'd better start planning my menu now!

This idea of him moving to a different part of the country does give me some travel ideas, however!  Grand Tetons.  I think I was there when I was five or six and I'm sure I didn't appreciate the scenery at all. And how nice would it be to have my son waiting on ME at a resort?!  Oh, there goes that dreaming again.

So another day that I'm feeling older & one step closer to emptynestedness.  I'm not sure I'm complaining, just mumbling.

Tomorrow I will post about food.  Today I just HAD to report my latest midlife crisis.  I think I'm lovin' it... at least embracing it.
Toodles,

No comments:

Post a Comment