Sunday, March 11, 2012

Shamrock Shake, not so lucky

Today being Sunday & a "little Easter," permission is granted to leave my Lenten promise behind for the day.  So... I took it upon myself to overindulge in the sugar category.  Apparently, my chai tea outing with my handsome hubby wasn't enough.

But we must go back to last week when I realized March is the month for Shamrock shakes at McDonalds and I questioned my giving up sugar as my sacrifice for 40 days.  I planned for this day for nearly a week!  I even suggested to my son that I stop by his dorm with a chilly treat for him & his girlfriend.  They accepted the invitation.  So after spending an hour in the office on Sunday (not normal), I drove past a number of McDonalds, dreaming of the minty goodness that would soon pass my lips.  I stopped at the last Mickey D's closest to the campus and ordered three medium Shamrock Shakes and one chocolate for hubby waiting at home.

Boy, was a surprised when I watched the young guy behind the counter fill the cup with something of a color that seems inedible, topped with whipped cream from a can & a cherry the color of a Crayola crayon.  Since when do they put toppings on a milkshake?  After making my delivery to the two young 'uns who were waiting with great anticipation, I could hardly wait to rip the wrapper off the straw and take that first long slurp....

"What the heck is this?" she says.  Sugar and green food coloring?  I think that's about what it was.  I even questioned what it really tasted like.  I remembered Shamrock shakes being minty, refreshing and, yes, a tad sweet.  But this was disgustingly sweet and a flavor indiscernible!  Is it because sugar has become sort of not the center of my world and only the center of my thought processes?  I was terribly disappointed, though I did not stop sucking the green goop up through the straw, and even skewered the cherry with the straw, being careful to bring it out through the large hole in the lid without knocking it off.


Was it all worth it in the end?  No way.  The gut ache that ensued, and still does six hours later, is not what I was looking forward to.  One day I will learn. 

There you have it, my final commitment to steer clear of a McDonald's shake.  And for that chocolate shake that Hubby consumed, he admitted it wasn't so tasty either.  I guess we will stick with our green smoothies as a sweet pick-me-up.  

Or maybe next Sunday I'll give a peanut cluster a whirl!

No comments:

Post a Comment