Thursday, March 29, 2012

A way of Life -- Eating to Live rather than Living to Eat

You've read my last couple of posts, I'm sure, & know that I struggle with sugar addiction.  Hello... who in America doesn't?  Okay, maybe there's three people that have no cravings mid-afternoon for a cookie or a hunk of chocolate.  But I'm not one of them.  

I've done fairly well keeping it to just one day a week.  Last weekend was no exception.  Friends came over for dinner & I tasked them with dessert.  Holy cow!  Did I know they would bring an ice cream cake and the slices would equal one-eighth of the cake itself?!  Did I politely say, no thank you?  No, I ate it anyway.  Not sure if it was the dairy or the sugar, but I suffered long after that.  I vowed not to have sugar EVER... until it was time for coffee with my handsome hubby.  Yep, I had a chai tea.  It settled fine and I went about my merry day.  

The more I read, the more I learn.  So after much reading, contemplation and prayer as to what my purpose in life is, I decided to enroll in NEI which stands for Nutritional Education Institute.  Yep!  I'm "going back to school."  Okay, but it's not like school, school.  It's on-line and self-paced.  There is a TON of required reading and only three exams.  Heck, who can't handle that, right?  It can't be that hard... Until you start reading about the genetic makeup of phytochemicals and the effects micronutrients have on your body and how it can literally heal itself.  

People have asked me what I'm going to do as a Certified Nutritional Education Trainer.  Heck, I dunno.  I just want to learn more about this style of eating, see how it can help me live to be 150, and hopefully I can educate friends and family and help them turn away from the SAD (standard American diet) and turn towards Eating for Health.

As Lent winds down, I have plans to keep my sugar intake to a minimum as I wrestle with cravings.  I will continue to post my midlife mumblings (but not the grumblings) and keep you updated on my educational journey.  Wish me luck.  The box of reading materials & course outline arrive next week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment