Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday Musings & A Challenge for YOU!

Ahhh, we made it through the weekend and back to work we go.  Sometimes the weekends can be just as busy as the workweek and getting back to the ol' grind can be relaxing.  Not for me for the next few weeks.  It seems when it rains, it pours.  I have a lot of work on my to-do list; all with fairly tight timelines.  That's okay.  I'm a gal who works best under pressure and a timeline is much like a goal.  For me, at it as a challenge.

I like challenges, not that I'm competitive and have the need to win, but I really like to put myself to the test and see what I can do.  Which brings me to the 2013 Spring Healthy Vegan Challenge.  You don't have to be vegan or even striving to be vegan to join us in this challenge.  We start today, but you can join us when you are ready.  There's a group of us -- led by fellow blogger & friend, Carrie -- who are putting our best feet forward and nourishing our bodies with the healthiest foods we can.  Why not start with US when it comes to wiping out diabetes, obesity and cancer?  Who wouldn't want to live their life without pain & sickness?  I know I would love to make it to a ripe old age with a great quality of life.  You can too.  Join us as we spend the next eight weeks getting rid of the old & bringing in the new.

My goals for the challenge may be a bit different than yours and yours may be different than someone else's.  See, since Lent began back on February 13th, I've been following a no-sugar diet.  Sugar has been my weakness and something I haven't been able to break.  It seems easier this time around.  Maybe because it's the only thing I'm focusing on right now, rather than trying to be super-nute and do it all at once.  So with sugar out of the picture, I'm going to try to limit processed grains to just one serving a day (if at all).  I also would like to take the next two months to finish up my studying to take the first exam for certification as a Nutritional Education Trainer.  I'd love to coach people on this diet-style (and maybe get paid for it, too.)  With the eight weeks I should easily be able to take the first exam and maybe the second; but I don't want to set my sights too high and will be happy with the first one being completed.  The challenge even has it's own group on Facebook if you'd like to join us.  Just click here to join & Carrie will get you all set up.

This weekend, I sort of went on strike.  Okay, it was only for a day.  I thought I would take the whole weekend off and eat from the foods that have been hanging out in the freezer.  That only worked for one day.  And I didn't go crazy and make a whole ton of new things... well, only a half a ton.  I tried to stay out of the kitchen on Sunday, but that lasted until about 2 p.m. when I started making my sauces for the week.  I made a cheese sauce, a peanut sauce & dijon date salad dressing.  The intent was to just make them and be done, but one thing let to another & I ended up creating some quinoa patties, chocolate mousse & almond shortbread cookies. (I will post those recipes later this week.)  All this food prep was in addition to what we were having for dinner -- an old standby... lentil tacos and mushroom fajitas.  I love being in the kitchen.  And, really, it's great for my sciatic nerve which tends to flare up with too much sitting.  It's clear to me I can't go on strike for long without being called back. 
Quinoa Patties before baking - recipe coming soon!
baked to perfection!
Chocolate mousse with strawberries and almond shortbread

I had some help with the pictures as I was struggling with the lighting, so please forgive me.  Daylight ambiance is much better in our kitchen/dining area, but once the sun goes down and you turn on the overhead lights it doesn't work so well.  I hope you get the gist of the food & will try some of the recipes yourself.  Remember, we don't use onion in our house because of an allergy; feel free to add it wherever you deem appropriate.

Well, it's time for me to get going with the Healthy Vegan Challenge.  We're about ready to begin a great adventure!  Please, won't you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment