Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wednesday Recipe & a check-in

Hello, happy, healthy eaters!

It's Wednesday already.  My days are all mixed up this week because I had Monday off from work.  I'm not sure if I'm a day behind or a day ahead.  In any event, I'm off kilter a little bit.  Maybe it's because on Monday I shared a soup recipe with you and I normally do soups in Wednesday's post.  I do have a recipe for you today, but it's for a salad instead.  I'll get to that in a bit.

I wanted to share a little quote with you today that I pulled from a page I "like" on Facebook.  It's from the Catholic Community Services of Western Washington page.  It says, "Fast from worry; feast on hope."  For those of us who observe Lent, this is a great fast/feast comparison.  I think I will make this my mantra for the next five years while Alex is serving Active Duty in the Army.  I do have to say that I'm coming to grips with the whole thing and I'm settling in to a certain amount of comfort in the idea.  Notice I said "certain amount."  That is like an eensy-weensy bit of comfort.  I think it's because I know we have a large support group -- people whose kids have been-there-done-that, friends who were or are military themselves and have lived to tell about it -- and we have our faith on our side too.  See, I'm a worrier (bet you couldn't have guessed that).  And like most moms I want the best for my kiddo and want him to be safe.  So this Lent as I'm fasting from sugary foods and feasting on nutrient-dense fruits & vegetables, I will also turn my efforts toward feasting on hope.

If you've been a relatively healthy eater and maybe backslid over the holidays or just want to ramp it up a little bit and work on a certain area -- like me and losing the sugar habit -- or are a newbie to the whole-foods eating style, I encourage you to join me and a group of others just like us for the next eight weeks as we embark on a challenge introduced by fellow nutritarian & blogger, Carrie.  You can read about her Healthy Vegan Challenge on her website.  I think it comes at a perfect time for me as I've committed to no added sugars for Lent.  Lent is a good time for making a change, no matter the type, but it's always easy to slide a little bit because there's not much accountability.  Well, you're accountable to the big guy upstairs, but He doesn't tend to call you out on things like eating sugar when you know it's not healthy.  I'm not sure anybody in the challenge will confront us either, but we definitely can use the challenge for support when we're struggling.  Just like that support system we have that will support us when Alex leaves, the folks in the challenge will be your support system for the next eight weeks.  Consider this a little mini-boot camp or Basic Training for a healthy life to come.  We all know it takes a lot of hard work, and I bet there will be a drill sergeant among us!

The other day a friend sent me a recipe for a salad.  It looked intriguing so I figured I'd give it a try.  I actually emailed her back and asked her if it was correct that there was no dressing on it.  She confirmed and noted that she prefers to get a blueberry in every bite.  Ahhh... Makes sense.  The "recipe" is just a list of ingredients with no measurements listed.  I was a bit skeptical, but I noticed at the bottom it said something like, "cut the broccoli & kale into bite-sized pieces and be generous with the ingredients you love the most."  Makes even more sense, right?  The salad was delicious.  I've always been a lettuce, peppers, cucumber, celery salad eater.  Now, this is something new!

Here's the recipe.

broccoli
kale
edamame beans
grape tomatoes
carrots
dried cranberries
blueberries
sunflower seeds
cashews, raw & unsalted
pecans- toasted
You literally mix it all together and enjoy!
As is standard for me I wanted to try this salad immediately, but I didn't have ALL of the ingredients so I substituted some things.  I think if you use mild-flavored vegetables and have a fruit, you're good to go.  I subbed cucumber for the carrots; strawberries for the blueberries; and currants for the cranberries (added sugar).  Getting a strawberry bit in every bite is key.  All of the flavors blend nicely and it stores great in the fridge for a couple of days.  That reminds me... I brought some of the leftovers in my lunch today!  Oh, is it noon yet?

I do have some exciting news to share... I am now registered for the Dr. Fuhrman Health Getaway in San Diego.  It's in June and I can't wait to go.  But then again, getting to June means I have to get through April which is when Alex leaves.  Can you see the angst?  But I will deal with that another day.  I am so looking forward to sunshine, learning, eating healthy foods, a little more sunshine & warm weather and a whole lot more eating (of meals I don't have to prepare).  If anybody is going to join me, let me know!  I can always use a roomie.

Well, I'll call it a wrap and come back on Friday when I'll share my view of something.  Not sure what, but it will be something.  I promise!





No comments:

Post a Comment