Monday, November 7, 2011

Turnaround of Hope

After a brief conversation with my very smart & handsome husband, I was informed that the garlic starts I had finally planted were doomed.  Why were they doomed?  Because I planted them upside down.  You see, planting garlic is much like planting bulbs.  You do it in the fall so they sprout in the spring.  Root-end down and sprout-end up.  Since the little cloves weren't sprouting yet, I guessed.  I guessed wrong.  So out I went Sunday to dig up all 18 cloves and flip them around.  I think they still would have sprouted and eventually the little green stem would have found its way to the top of the soil & produced fine garlic, but I couldn't leave them in the ground knowing they would struggle.  

While on my little scavenger hunt, I was thinking that isn't this what Jesus does for us?  He knows sometimes that we are struggling or going in the wrong direction, but he gives us the extra edge, just like I did with those garlic cloves.  He guides us, puts a hand on our shoulder and says, here you go... turn around and get going in the right direction.  He gives us hope to make it.  He wants us to make it, just like I want my garlic starts to produce big heads of garlic next spring.  Jesus gives us the tools and the strength to be great disciples and to live according to His word, we just need to sprout.

The next time you're struggling, lean on God.  Ask Him to help turn you around so you can "make it."

No comments:

Post a Comment