Friday, September 30, 2011

What's age but just a number

I don't really think of myself as 44 years old.  The first weekend of every month at church those celebrating a birthday are called forward to receive a birthday blessing.  As if you can only receive the blessing if you confess your age, everyone in turn speaks their name and how old they are going to be that month.  So, I proclaim in front of 350 people that I'm going to be 44!  Wow!  I think that's when it hit me.  I was feeling a little glum after that.  A birthday wish by another parishioner came with "it's okay, it's just a number."

Your age is really only a number until you fill out a survey.  You know, the kind that have the questions at the end that everybody wants to avoid... what's your household income?  Your race?  Your AGE!  Well, I've got but one more year and I will be bumped up to another category.  It feels like just yesterday I joined probably most of the survey takers out there... the one that is 40-44.

We midlifers answer surveys because we want our opinion to count.  Maybe we don't feel like our opinion matters at home anymore because our kids don't really want to hear our opinion, they're busy doing their own thing and want to figure it out for themselves.  At work, we've usually been in our job for so long that bosses and co-workers already know your opinion without asking (or they think they do).  So we anonymously answer nonsensical, irrelevant surveys from which some computer on the other end compiles data for a huge company that we think cares about our opinion.  So I say subscribe to Shopper's Voice, Survey Monkey, My Survey and the like.  Let it all out.  What a great way to share how you really feel without being judged

Think about it... If you're having a bad day, you can really let them have it!  What's your opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment