Monday, January 14, 2013

Monday Buzz

Good Monday Morning to you!  I hope you had a good weekend.  In my neck of the woods it was cold and clear.  I know the country is having some weird weather, but I'll take 28 degrees and clear anytime over grey clouds and rain.  Just don't start snowing on me.  Snow in this here part of the Northwest really messes with traffic and work, so as long as it stays in the mountains, I'm happy.

Last week I told you I would share why our house has been buzzing with excitement.  We are usually a pretty quiet threesome.  I like it that way.  I'm a rather quiet homebody, so when something gets the nest stirring, it's sometimes kind of fun.  You can just feel the energy here within the last few weeks.  So what is going on you ask?  Our son, Alex, has decided to follow a dream he has had for a number of years and is brainstorming on starting a non-profit organization.  Alex is a pretty amazing "kid."  I think I'm supposed to say that cuz he's mine, right?  Anyway, he has a heart of gold, great ideas and so much passion for the outdoors.  So put that together and you get a dream to help kids enjoy the wilderness.

I personally wanted to know more about his project and since we seem to be always going in opposite directions, I did what any mom of the 21st Century does and emailed him a few questions and he emailed me his answers back.  I decided it would be a good blog subject to get the word out as he gets this off the ground.  I hope when you finish reading, you'll agree with me that he's pretty amazing.


Q. Hi Alex. Tell my blog readers about yourself.
A:  My name is Alex Glaze, and I'm the CEO of an up-and-coming nonprofit called Adamo Outdoors: Youth Project.  I'm a wilderness EMT and have spent most of the last 10 years outdoors in many capacities.  Most of my time has been spent teaching skills to the Boy Scouts and to Search and Rescue, but I enjoy getting out on my own.  I've done some climbing in Wyoming and I love running in the Cascade foothills.

Q:  There's been a lot of buzzing at our house in the last couple of weeks or so.  What is going on?
A:  I've started the organization Adamo Outdoors: Youth Project, and we (the board and I) have been hard at work educating ourselves on running a business, developing a curriculum for our outdoor education, and all sorts of other smaller projects that will get Adamo Outdoors off the ground.

Q:   The name of your project is Adamo Outdoors.  What does that mean to you? 
A:    Adamo means “to fall in love with” or “to find joy in”.  The staff here at Adamo Outdoors finds great joy in the outdoors, as our name suggests, and we'd like to share that love with youth who may have never had the opportunity to experience the wonder that is the outdoors. 

Q:  What is the mission or goal of Adamo? 
A:  The mission of Adamo Outdoors is to provide an outdoor experience focused on education and development in a safe environment that fosters growth and creativity.  Basically, we want to get kids outdoors to learn and have fun. 

Q:  Who is Adamo?
A:  Adamo Outdoors is a large group of individuals -- young adults with dreams and vision for the future.  The contributors are innumerable.  As far as a concrete number, we are three strong -- Alex Glaze, Alex Dacy, and Noah Kime.  All Cascade Christian graduates, we have taken different paths in life that have lead to our unique skill sets that offer a diverse and effective approach to education. 

Q:  Why do you want this project to succeed so badly?
A:  I don't want any of this to succeed for me.  I believe that we are offering something that no one else is in a unique environment.  I want this to succeed for the kids, for education and generations to come.  I want to inspire memorable adventures that leave the youth with a new point of view and a new respect for nature and one another. 

Q:  What or who is your inspiration for this project?
A:   My starting inspiration is my time in the Boy Scouts and my grandfather.  Both of these left a lasting impression on me as to what it means to be a man and what it means to be an outdoorsman.  I  continue to be inspired by the energy I'm surrounded with as folks find out about what we're trying to do and offer their support.  

Q:  Besides learning about the outdoors, what will the kids gain from their outings? 
A:  Adamo Outdoors supports five areas by which we operate our business and which we instill in youth as we teach.  They are: Integrity, Respect, Self Reliance, Critical Thinking, and Care for Each Other and The Environment.  Whether we are sitting around the fire talking about the day's events or rock climbing, our five values are always promoted through speech and actions.  We aim to develop character along with skills.

Q:  What is your biggest roadblock right now to getting this off the ground?
A:  Cost.  Plain and simple (and no matter how much we don't like it) money makes things happen.  We can't file our paperwork with the Attorney General until we can pay for the fees.  

Q:  Where do you think the adventures of Adamo will lead YOU? 
A:  From my time teaching with the Boy Scouts and Search and Rescue, I know that I will learn just as much from these kids as they will learn from the guides.  I'm not 100% sure where the adventures will lead me, but as always, we at Adamo Outdoors will be prepared for whatever is around the corner...with our boots on and compass in hand.

Now, doesn't that just make you want to lace up your boots and hit the trail?  I sure do!  I am positive that with the drive and motivation Alex has to make this project work, it won't be long before you see a group of kids meandering off into the wilderness for a few days of unplugged peace in the woods with a couple of guides who have so much to offer!

This whole thing makes me wonder what I have to offer.  Maybe I could be doing more.  It's definitely got me stirring and digging a little deeper into my heart to see what more there is there.  I'll think about that for a few weeks.  For now, I'll close up this post.  Watch Wednesday for a new soup recipe.  Can you possible make split pea soup in just six minutes?  I think you can!

1 comment:

  1. please let us know when they get their 501(c)3

    ReplyDelete